This page contains the Spiritual Companions Guidelines and below that the Spiritual Companions Agreement
SPIRITUAL COMPANIONS GUIDELINES
These guidelines were written after a lengthy consultation process involving feedback, editing and opinions from 200 interested and independent men and women.
- Regularly connect with and experience the wonder and energy of existence.
- Are grounded and centred in our bodies; embodied and in hara
- Can pause, still at will and become mindfully present
- Awareness of the subtle sensations of connection
- Witness with compassion, in silence when appropriate
- Self-reflect and manage our behaviour, health and development with compassion, love and wisdom
- Are emotionally literate and transparent about our own processes
- Are in ongoing relationships and groups of peer support, actively seeking and welcoming feedback from others
- Understand that there are psychological challenges that occur as the everyday self emerges into spiritual consciousness
- Can take responsibility, apologise, forgive and receive forgiveness
- Appreciate that all life is in a continual process of emergence and are comfortable with unknowing
- Possess an appropriate sense of humour
- Enable safe and sacred space
- Provide a non-intrusive, welcoming, healing and holding presence
- Listen with care and enable people to clarify and own their own psycho-spiritual development
- Can assert clear boundaries and intervene, when appropriate, to stop abuse
- Celebrate diversity and welcome the fact that there are many different paths of spiritual development
- Are engaged citizens, actively dedicated to social and ecological health and honouring the spirit in all beings
- Are aware of local resources
- Know our personal and professional limitations and are able to refer appropriately
SPIRITUAL COMPANIONS AGREEMENT
The Spiritual Companions Agreement describes the service offered by Spiritual Companions and defined by our insurance cover..
I am a benevolent presence who hears your story
I will reassure and support you through careful listening, enquiry and responses, seeking fully to understand your personal story and circumstances.
I may remind you that life is a spiritual journey
When appropriate, I may have a conversation with you exploring that, whatever your circumstances, you are on a life-long journey of spiritual and personal development, developing your heart and consciousness.
And I may help you develop your spiritual practice
When appropriate, I may help you explore the skills, practices and understandings that will support you in self-managing your spiritual and personal journey with mature autonomy.
The concept of spiritual companionship, that is, pastoral care without the baggage of specific religious doctrine, is crucial in our culture, in our time. So many people who are uncomfortable with the narrow focus of institutional religions crave a spiritual life, a spiritual path. Spiritual Companions are well equipped to help those who are ‘not religious, just spiritual’ to open their awareness, understand their quest and develop a satisfying spiritual life. – Ramona K. Silipo, Spiritual Companion